sex hikayeleri interior desing escort fethiye escort denizli porno hikaye kredi kartı borç sorgulama sitesi yayında ziraatbank borç sorgulama
FIJI NEWS
July 19, 2012 12:00:00 AM
  Follow @ Twitter

Fiji’s High Court in Suva this afternoon refused an application for a permanent stay on proceeding by former director of Fijian Holdings Limited (FHL) Laisenia Qarase.

The court heard that the application was filed after trial began and that Fiji Independent Commission against Corruption lawyer Michael Blanchflower had opposed the application when it was made.

Qarase is charged with six counts of abuse of office and three counts of discharge of duty with respect to a property in which he has a private interest.

In handing his ruling, presiding Judge Justice Priyantha Fernando said the charges were laid in 2008 and since then there was no indication from Qarase and his lawyers of a stay application being made.

The court heard the application for stay was made recently and the basis on which it was made indicated that it was baseless.

The court heard the fact that a witness is dead or missing cannot lead to stay of all prosecutions and if such was the case, so many cases in the country could not be tried.

The court also heard that there is no evidence of missing documents or notes by former FHL chair Lyle Cupit and there was no request by defence from Prosecution to disclose those documents.

Justice Fernando told the court that by his actions, Qarase proved to the court that he could not be tried fairly.

In another ruling Justice Fernando told the court that Qarase will have to answer to all the nine charges laid against him.

Qarase’s lawyer, Tupou Draunidalo had made an application for a no case to answer after Prosecution closed their case on Tuesday.

In his ruling Justice Fernando said Prosecution has evidence to prove that Qarase had an interest towards the three companies.

It is alleged Qarase between 1992 to 2000 while employed as a director of Fijian Holdings Limited, Financial Advisor of the Fijian Affairs Board and advisor to the Great Council of Chiefs, in abuse of the authority of his office, did arbitrary acts.

He is alleged to have applied in the name of Cicia Plantation Co-op Society Limited, Mavana Investments Limited and a family owned company named Q-Ten Investments Limited for the issuance and allotment of Class A shares in Fijian Holdings Limited.

The case will continue tomorrow.

By Mereani Gonedua

 

Bad Blood


PREVIOUS STORY
New decree gives clarity to process: Ghai
NEXT STORY
Montagnier calls for more women participation in automotive

Post a Comment
Bookmark and Share

 


Posted Comments
No comments, but you can post the first comment!
   





Do you support the proposed open taxi base system for taxis in Fiji?
 Yes
 No


Poll Results: Current | Previous

Do you support the proposed open taxi base system for taxis in Fiji?
Yes
 76%
No
 24%



More Polls
Press Esc to close this window
BUSINESS
SMEs to receive grants from this weekThe Fijian Government will begin rolling out its national program of providing grants to small and micro businesses to grow and graduate into bigger businesses from this week.
SPORTS
McKee names squad for Maori ABs testVodafone Flying Fijians Head Coach John McKee has announced a 36 member squad that will march into camp tomorrow to prepare for the test match against the Maori All Blacks on Saturday in Suva.
WORLD
Pope prays for peace in Syria, KoreaPope Francis prayed for a "political solution" in Syria and for "reconciliation" on the Korean peninsula in his first Easter Sunday message in front of a crowd in St Peter's Square.
TECHNOLOGY
Online registration for foreign investorsFiji will soon launch online registration and approvals system for foreign investors.
FIJI NEWS
O’Connor gets Tikoduadua’s seatFiji's Electoral Commission has awarded Lautoka businessman Alex O’Connor a seat in Parliament declared vacant following the resignation of Pio Tikoduadua of the ruling FijiFirst party in May.
NEWS SPORTS INFOTAINMENT MOBILE HOT TOPICS FOLLOW US ON