sex hikayeleri interior desing escort fethiye escort denizli porno hikaye kredi kartı borç sorgulama sitesi yayında ziraatbank borç sorgulama
ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
August 09, 2012 12:00:00 AM
  Follow @ Twitter

Rupert Murdoch's embattled media giant News Corp on Wednesday posted a net loss of $1.51 billion in its fiscal fourth quarter.

The bottom line was hit by a $2.85 billion charge apparently related to restructuring as the company plans to split its entertainment division from its struggling publishing business, hit by the hacking scandals in Britain.

The News Corp release described the charge as "a write-down of $1.5 billion of goodwill and a $1.3 billion write-down of the company's indefinite-lived intangibles, principally related to the company's publishing businesses, most significantly the Australian operations."

News Corp also wrote off $57 million it said it spent in the quarter for "ongoing investigation" into a phone hacking scandal at the company, bringing the total cost for the year to approximately $224 million.

Police on Tuesday arrested a journalist from Murdoch's top-selling British tabloid The Sun and a policeman for alleged corruption, Scotland Yard and the journalist's employer said.

The pair were detained under Operation Elveden, one of three investigations sparked by the phone-hacking scandal that closed the News of the World, The Sun's weekly sister paper, last July.

There has been a string of recent arrests of Sun journalists.

Australian-born Murdoch was forced to shut down the 168-year-old News of the World over revelations that its staff had hacked into the voicemail messages of a murdered teenager and dozens of public figures.

Scotland Yard has made a total of 43 arrests under Operation Elveden, which is investigating journalists' alleged bribery of public officials, and 24 under Operation Weeting, its probe into phone hacking.

A further nine people have been arrested as a result of an investigation into alleged computer hacking and privacy breaches by journalists.

Andy Coulson, former media chief to Prime Minister David Cameron, and former top Murdoch aide Rebekah Brooks are among those who have been formally charged with phone hacking.

Brooks previously edited both the News of the World and The Sun while Coulson formerly edited the News of the World.

AFP

Bad Blood


PREVIOUS STORY
Actor Bob Hoskins retires after Parkinson's diagnosis
NEXT STORY
Madonna's concert draws Russia's wrath

Bookmark and Share
   




FIJI NEWS
AFI mourns unexpected loss of advocateThe Alliance for Financial Inclusion (AFI) is mourning the unexpected loss of its advocate, Reuben Summerlin who died in a road accident in Lautoka on Monday.
SPORTS
Maori All Blacks will come out firing: QeraVodafone Flying Fijians captain Akapusi Qera is bracing for a tough match against the Maori All Blacks this Saturday and believes a win at home will boost their Pacific Nations Cup campaign.
TECHNOLOGY
Online registration for foreign investorsFiji will soon launch online registration and approvals system for foreign investors.
WORLD
Pope prays for peace in Syria, KoreaPope Francis prayed for a "political solution" in Syria and for "reconciliation" on the Korean peninsula in his first Easter Sunday message in front of a crowd in St Peter's Square.
BUSINESS
330 receive business grant330 recipients of the Fijian Government’s grant for micro and small business grant programme were today presented with $1000 cheques by Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama.
NEWS SPORTS INFOTAINMENT MOBILE HOT TOPICS FOLLOW US ON