A 14-months-old baby died in a home fire in Korovuto, Nadi yesterday while her two other siblings are admitted at the Nadi hospital.
A 20m x 10m lean-to house belonging to a 36-year-old cane cutter caught fire and completely destroyed with its contents.
Fiji Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro said the baby died at the scene after she was trapped inside the house.
It is alleged that the 21-year-old wife had gone to the shop locking the house doors from outside leaving the deceased and their 2 other children a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old inside the house unsupervised.
Naisoro said the neighbors managed to save the toddlers by breaking the louvre blades and pulled them out.
The two received burns on their hands, face and ears, both under for observation at the hospital.
The police are once again pleading to members of the public to make better informed decisions before carrying out any duties or tasks.
Naisoro said this is particularly so for parents and guardians when it comes to the care of their children.
”The issue of supervision must take precedence always and the person tasked with that role should be someone who will know what to do in times of an emergency and be in a position to provide safety and security to their children at all times.”
Meanwhile, in another fire incident this week at Vuci Rd, belonging to a 32-year-old carpenter was completely destroyed with contents.
Naisoro said the fire believed to have started from a lit candle.
Naisoro said they are still investigating both fires.
By Ropate Valemei