INTERNATIONAL NEWS
September 20, 2012 12:00:00 AM
  Follow @ Twitter

Italy's top court Wednesday confirmed guilty verdicts against 23 CIA agents for the 2003 abduction of an Egyptian imam in Milan and ordered a re-trial for two Italian ex-spies accused of taking part.

The CIA agents were all being tried in absentia in one of the world's biggest court cases against the US "extraordinary rendition" programme to interrogate alleged Islamist militants after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

The 23 CIA agents were originally sentenced in November 2009 to five to eight years in prison and in December 2010 had their sentences increased to seven to nine years on appeal and ordered to pay damages to the imam.

Washington has refused to extradite the agents, who all remain at liberty but risk arrest if they travel to Europe.

Osama Mustafa Hassan, a radical Islamist opposition figure better known as Abu Omar, was snatched from a street in Milan in 2003 in an operation coordinated by the CIA and the Italian military intelligence agency SISMI.

Abu Omar, who enjoyed political asylum in Italy at the time, was then allegedly taken to the Aviano US air base in northeastern Italy, flown to a US base in Germany, and on to Cairo, where he says he was tortured.

In Wednesday's ruling, the court also said that two former heads of SISMI, Nicolo Pollari and Marco Mancini, should be re-tried.

The two were acquitted by the appeals court in 2010 in a ruling that said producing evidence against them would have violated state secrecy laws.

The "extraordinary rendition" programme was launched in 2003 by then US president George W. Bush and saw scores of suspects returned to their home countries, some of which were known to use torture.

Abu Omar's US captors failed to take many standard precautions, notably speaking openly on cell phones, leading investigators to suspect they had cleared their intentions with Italian intelligence.

AFP

Wiggle


PREVIOUS STORY
Early Christians believed Jesus wed: expert
NEXT STORY
Earthworms 'marry' in Taiwan ceremony

Bookmark and Share
   




FIJI NEWS
Bainimarama dominates postal ballotsFiji's Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama looks set to extend his lead even further as postal ballot counts so far is to his favour.
BUSINESS
No repeat of 2000 burning, businesses toldFiji's Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama has assured the business community that the events of the 2000 coup where some businesses were looted and burned down will not be repeated in this year's election.
SPORTS
Injured Tuwai in doubt for Gold Coast 7sRugged forward Pio Tuwai is in doubt for next month's Gold Coast 7s after copping an injury in team training this week.
TECHNOLOGY
Vodafone Fiji, Tonga telco in allianceVodafone Fiji and Tonga Communications Corporation today signed a strategic partnership alliance that will allow the Tongan company to leverage off the experience of their Fijian counterparts.
HEALTH/FITNESS
Clean-up day to curb dengue outbreakFiji's Ministry of Health has declared a clean-up day next Thursday for residents in the central division as it ups the tempo against a dengue fever outbreak currently experienced in the country.
ENTERTAINMENT
NZ concert for The Madden Brothers on Nov 4The Madden Brothers have announced a November 4 Auckland concert, after taking New Zealand by storm with their platinum certified smash single We Are Done, from their debut album Greetings From California, released this week.
NEWS SPORTS INFOTAINMENT SERVICES MOBILE EXTRA HOT TOPICS