A 53-year-old man of Naevuevu Village, Sigatoka died last night after suffering severe burns in a house fire.
Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro said the man was later pronounced dead on arrival at the Sigatoka hospital.
Naisoro said the incident happened at 9.15pm when a house belonging to a 45-year-old farmer was completely destroyed in a fire with contents estimated at forty thousand dollars.
The home owner stayed with his wife and two older brothers.
The deceased, an older brother of the house owner was of unsound mind.
He was having dinner in the kitchen with a lit candle.
The owner was awoken by the shouts of villagers alerting him of the fire after which he ran outside and informed the villagers that his brother was still inside.
Naisoro said due to heavy smoke and the flames it was difficult to save the deceased.
She said post mortem will be arranged soon.
By Ropate Valemei