TECHNOLOGY NEWS
September 18, 2012 12:00:00 AM
  Follow @ Twitter

Pakistan has blocked access to YouTube after the video sharing website failed to take down an anti-Islam film that has sparked furious protests across the Muslim world.

Attempts to access YouTube met with a message saying the website had been classed as containing "indecent material" and was blocked on the orders of the Pakistan Telecom Authority.

The ban was ordered by Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf "after YouTube refused to heed to the advice of the government of Pakistan to remove blasphemous film from its site", a statement from his office said.

The movie entitled "Innocence of Muslims", believed to have been produced by a small group of extremist Christians, has sparked a week of furious protests outside US embassies and other American symbols in at least 20 countries.

Two protesters died in Pakistan on Monday -- one in an exchange of gunfire in the country's restive northwest and one who succumbed to his injuries after being shot in the head during a demonstration in Karachi on Sunday.

AFP
 


PREVIOUS STORY
Apple gets record 2m iPhone 5 orders
NEXT STORY
Google buys smartphone photo app maker

Bookmark and Share
   




FIJI NEWS
Missing teen mum and son found safeA teenage mother and her young son who were reported missing from their Lautoka home late November have been found.
SPORTS
Singh unhappy with OCL seeding systemSuva coach Gurjit Singh is unhappy with the seeding system used by Oceania Football Confederation to draw the pools of the Champions League and says clubs should have been informed about the procedures before the draw.
HEALTH/FITNESS
Clean-up day to curb dengue outbreakFiji's Ministry of Health has declared a clean-up day next Thursday for residents in the central division as it ups the tempo against a dengue fever outbreak currently experienced in the country.
LIFESTYLE/FASHION
Tafuna’i ready to fly Fiji’s flag highNew crowned Miss World Fiji, Charlene Tafuna’i is ready to do wonders for Fiji in the Miss World Finals in December and is calling for the nation’s backing.
ENTERTAINMENT
Ne-yo’s new album Non Fiction out Jan 30Grammy Award winner Ne-yo is set to return with Non Fiction, his first album in two years, to be released Jan 30.
OFFBEAT
Mercury 'took Princess Diana to gay barQueen singer Freddie Mercury disguised the late Princess Diana as a male model and smuggled her into a notorious gay bar, according to a memoir serialised in Britain's Sunday Times.
NEWS SPORTS INFOTAINMENT SERVICES MOBILE EXTRA HOT TOPICS