TECHNOLOGY NEWS
September 13, 2012 12:00:00 AM
  Follow @ Twitter

The video-sharing website YouTube said Wednesday it was restricting access in Libya and Egypt to a film that has sparked anti-US protests.

"This video -- which is widely available on the Web -- is clearly within our guidelines and so will stay on YouTube," a spokesman said in a statement.

"However, given the very difficult situation in Libya and Egypt we have temporarily restricted access in both countries. Our hearts are with the families of the people murdered in yesterday's attack in Libya," he added.

The move by Google-owned YouTube came in the wake of a deadly attack on the US consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi that killed the US ambassador to the country and three of his colleagues.

US officials say extremists appear to have used protests over the controversial film -- which mocks and insults the Prophet Mohammed -- as a pretext to stage an assault involving small arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades that lasted several hours.

The attack followed an earlier protest in Cairo, the capital of Egypt, in which hardline Salafist Islamists stormed the US embassy compound.

No one was hurt but the US flag was torn down and replaced by the black banner favored by supporters of militant groups like Al-Qaeda, in a protest triggered by the emergence on the Internet of the film.

The US-made amateur production was recently dubbed into Arabic and broadcast in part on some Egyptian-based television networks.

AFP


PREVIOUS STORY
iPhone 5 to go on sale Sept 21 in 7 countries
NEXT STORY
Apple extends gains after iPhone 5 launch

Bookmark and Share
   




FIJI NEWS
Fiji envoy presents credentials to MaldivesFijiís High Commissioner to India Yogesh Karan presented his credentials to the Maldives President, Abdulla Y A Gayoom at his office in Malť earlier this week.
SPORTS
Tavua wins Sikh IDCTavua walked away with the Fiji Sikh Sports Association's Inter District Championship title this afternoon after topping the round robin competition.
HEALTH/FITNESS
Clean-up day to curb dengue outbreakFiji's Ministry of Health has declared a clean-up day next Thursday for residents in the central division as it ups the tempo against a dengue fever outbreak currently experienced in the country.
LIFESTYLE/FASHION
Blake chase Ms World for FijiMiss World Fiji Director Andhy Blake is adamant to select the best contestants with a view to win Fiji the coveted Miss World crown.
ENTERTAINMENT
Sam Smithís debut In The Lonely Hour out in MayBRIT and BBC Sound Poll winner Sam Smithís debut album In The Lonely Hour is out on May 23.
OFFBEAT
Mercury 'took Princess Diana to gay barQueen singer Freddie Mercury disguised the late Princess Diana as a male model and smuggled her into a notorious gay bar, according to a memoir serialised in Britain's Sunday Times.
NEWS SPORTS INFOTAINMENT SERVICES MOBILE EXTRA HOT TOPICS