HEALTH / FITNESS NEWS
October 14, 2012 12:00:00 AM
  Follow @ Twitter

A US beverage industry group and other businesses filed a lawsuit Friday against the administration of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg seeking to block restrictions on sales of large soda drinks.

Plaintiffs led by the American Beverage Association and the National Restaurant Association took the city to court over the limited ban, which is due to take effect in March.

The measure, approved by the New York Board of Health last month, restricts soda drink servings to a maximum of 16 ounces (475 milliliters) in fast-food and other restaurants, as well as places of public entertainment like stadiums.

That's more than a normal can, but only half the size of the biggest, bucket-like containers that patrons commonly guzzle from in movie theaters, sports arenas and other outlets.

"This case is not about obesity in New York City or the motives of the Board of Health in adopting the rule being challenged," the plaintiffs' complaint said.

"This case is about the Board of Health, appointed by the mayor, bypassing the proper legislative process for governing the city."

There is nothing to stop people from buying as much soda as they like by refilling smaller containers. Also, the ban does not extend to drinks sold in supermarkets or any dairy or fruit drinks, many of which also contain huge quantities of sugar.

Diet and alcoholic drinks are also exempted.

"The exclusion of all alcoholic beverages from the ban is completely irrational. Beer and soda have nearly the same calories per ounce," the complaint said.

"The application of the ban to some business establishments but not others is arbitrary and capricious."

According to official statistics, some 6,000 people in New York die each year from obesity-linked problems. One in eight adult New Yorkers has diabetes, which can be aggravated by sugar consumption.

AFP


PREVIOUS STORY
Yahoo! CEO Mayer delivers first baby
NEXT STORY
Shot Pakistani girl arrives in UK for treatment

Bookmark and Share
   




FIJI NEWS
570,000 plus Fijians registered for electionAs of 30 June, the Fijian Elections has registered approximately 570,000 voters.
SPORTS
Labasa to play home game awayThe Babasiga Lions will host their home game against Suva at the ANZ Stadium in Suva, the Fiji Football has confirmed.
TECHNOLOGY
Only call details given to police in 670 cases: VFVodafone Fiji says it provided call details in 670 cases to police on the production of a search warrant or court order, but does not listen to or record calls, and could not provide such information.
LIFESTYLE/FASHION
Charlene is Miss World Fiji 201420-year-old Nadi beauty, Charlene Tafunaíi was tonight crowned Miss World Fiji 2014 at the Pearl South Pacific Resort in Pacific Harbour.
ENTERTAINMENT
5 Seconds of Summer announce Aust, NZ showsHot on the heels of selling out two shows at Londonís iconic Wembley Arena, the chart-topping Sydney boys are heading out on the road to play their first-ever headline Australian and New Zealand arena shows, touring in support of their recently released self-titled #1 smash hit debut album.
OFFBEAT
Mercury 'took Princess Diana to gay barQueen singer Freddie Mercury disguised the late Princess Diana as a male model and smuggled her into a notorious gay bar, according to a memoir serialised in Britain's Sunday Times.
NEWS SPORTS INFOTAINMENT SERVICES MOBILE EXTRA HOT TOPICS