1. Boil the water, add taro leaves and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on.
2. Drain and mash the taro leaves and set aside.
3. Heat the butter, margarine or oil, and fry onion for one minute.
4. Add flour and stir the mixture over a low heat for one minute.
5. Remove from heat, and stir in milk.
6. Put back on heat and bring to boil. add leaves and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring all the time.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
Cooked fish or meat and root crops can be added to make the soup a complete meal. Instead of milk, thin coconut cream may be used.