November 17, 2012
  Follow @ Twitter

Beckham rejects potential move to Australia

David Beckham's representatives on Friday moved quickly to play down talk of a potential move to Australia, after claims by the country's football federation that he wanted to join an A-League club.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) claimed the 37-year-old former England captain had been in talks with Australian teams over a 10-game loan spell in the country's top flight.

Italian superstar Alessandro Del Piero and Beckham's former England team-mate Emile Heskey have both joined A-League clubs this season, and reports indicated the Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder was set to follow their lead.

However, a member of Beckham's management team insisted he had no plans to leave California, with the Major League Soccer (MLS) season due to end in two weeks' time.

"There is always enormous interest from clubs across the world in signing David as a player," the spokesman told Britain's Sky Sports News television channel

"There are absolutely no plans to play in Australia. David is completely focused on the MLS play-offs and winning another Championship with the Galaxy."

Despite the rebuttal, Beckham's one-time Manchester United team-mate Mark Bosnich, the former Australia goalkeeper, said that there had been "definite contact" about a possible move Down Under.

"David Beckham's representatives expressed an interest of sorts," said Bosnich, now a sports pundit, in an interview with Britain's Sky News television from Sydney.

"Obviously the idea was sold to Football Federation Australia in the last couple of days.

"I think what's happened is that somebody at Football Federation Australia has got very excited, which is understandable, because David Beckham would be absolutely fabulous for the game here."

Sky News also reported Aussie side Perth Glory as saying that they "would be mad not to consider" Beckham as a potential player and that they had put in a formal request to LA Galaxy.

Beckham remains one of the biggest names in football and his presence in the A-League alongside Del Piero and Heskey would help ratchet up the competition's global image.

Earlier on Friday, FFA said Beckham's management had offered his services for the current season, amid reports he wanted to set up a loan move to coincide with the close of the MLS season.

Beckham has previously had two loan spells with Italian giants AC Milan during the MLS off-season, in 2009 and 2010.

"The approach from David Beckham's people is another sign of how much the Hyundai A-League has grown in stature on a global basis," said an FFA spokesman.

"Beckham is a superstar on the world stage and he would be another massive signing for the A-League after the arrivals of Alessandro Del Piero, Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono. But this approach remains at a very preliminary stage."

FFA said it was exploring all available options, with the Sydney Morning Herald speculating that the newly-formed Western Sydney Wanderers would be the most realistic option, as the Australian federation owns the team.

Del Piero is on a two-year contract reportedly worth Aus$2 million ($2 million, 1.6 million euro) a season at Sydney FC, while Heskey plays for the Newcastle Jets.

During his time with the Galaxy, Beckham has played against Sydney FC, Newcastle and Melbourne Victory in friendly matches.

AFP

Kapoor & Sons

PREVIOUS STORY
Ba clubs, Samabula post big NCC wins
NEXT STORY
O'Connor hat trick sinks Samabula in NCC

Post a Comment
Bookmark and Share

 


Posted Comments
No comments, but you can post the first comment!

 


 






SPORTS
Verevou nets double in Fiji U23 loss
Vodafone Fiji U23 striker Iosefo Verevou got a brace of goals as the team lost its second match of the Brazil tour 4-2 against Parana Clube today.
RUGBY
Ryan includes five overseas-based reps
Vodafone Fiji 7s Coach Ben Ryan has included five overseas based players in his 17-member squad for the last leg of the HSBC World Sevens Series.
FIJI NEWS
Cyclone Winston moves towards Tonga
Category 2 Tropical Cyclone Winston is moving away from the Lau group and towards Tonga.
WORLD
Obama unveils gun violence proposals
President Barack Obama today demanded an assault weapons ban and universal background checks for gun buyers, stoking a generational clash with the firearms lobby after the Newtown school massacre.
ENTERTAINMENT
Afghan street kid heads for the Oscars red carpet
An Afghan street kid is off to Hollywood and the red-carpet treatment at the Oscars -- a fairytale ending to a chance encounter that led to a starring role in a movie.
TECHNOLOGY
Online registration for foreign investors
Fiji will soon launch online registration and approvals system for foreign investors.
NEWS SPORTS INFOTAINMENT MOBILE HOT TOPICS FOLLOW US ON