November 29, 2021
Former Fiji Bati and NRL star Jarryd Hayne appeared before the New South Wales Supreme Court to appeal his sexual assault conviction via a videolink today.
News Corp Australia reports that Hayne has argued that his sexual assault conviction ought to be quashed because a jury erred in believing his victim said "no, no, no", a court has heard.
Hayne appeared before Chief Justice Tom Bathurst and Justices Ian Harrison and Helen Wilson via videolink from Cooma Correctional Centre as he fought to be released from prison.
The 33-year-old was earlier this year jailed after a District Court jury found him guilty of two counts of sexual assault.
He was imprisoned for a maximum of five years and nine months - with a three-year, eight-month non-parole period - after jury convicted him of the sexual assault of a then 26-year-old woman inside her Newcastle home in September 2018.
He immediately launched proceedings in the Court of Criminal Appeal.
The woman watched proceedings via videolink as the crown prosecution fought Hayne's bid to be freed.
His first trial in Newcastle last year ended where he was found guilty following a second trial in Sydney's Downing Centre District Court earlier this year.
Hayne pleaded not guilty at trial and has consistently professed his innocence, even after being convicted.
He claimed that he engaged in consensual sexual acts with the woman, that her injuries were accidental and that he had apologised.
However, the jury accepted the woman’s version of events that she said "no" and "no Jarryd" and that she did not consent to the former Dally M winner performing oral and digital sex on her in the bedroom of her Fletcher home on NRL grand final night on September 30, 2018.
Barrister Tim Game said that Hayne was appealing on several grounds including that there was evidence which contradicted the woman's claim that she repeatedly said "no".
By Romeka Romena