Saturday, March 2, 2024
601 ad

Proposed $1.5B freeway shelved: Tuisawau

Minister for Public Works Ro Filipe Tuisawau says they are doing away with the Fiji Roads Authority’s project to construct a $1.5 billion freeway from Suva to Nadi and the $100 million Nadi to Lautoka bypass.

Speaking to FijiLive, Ro Filipe said that this project is like an extravagant infrastructure that Fiji does not need.

He said his Ministry is currently relooking at proposed projects that are in the pipeline; however will carry on with the projects that have already commenced like the extension of the road along Queen Elizabeth Drive.

“Other projects will have to be reassessed and to prioritize the current works and maintenance, also the upgrading of the road. The focus as we move forward, especially in relooking at the infrastructure budget,” Ro Filipe added.

Last year, the former Attorney-General Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum announced the two major projects for the Fiji Roads Authority and explained that they want to build roads with climate-resilient standards.

Sayed-Khaiyum highlighted that the funding for this project would come from budget support, and they have already discussed the matter with some development partners who are very interested in providing assistance in terms of financing, whether through a grant or concessional loan.

Ilaitia Ravuwai
Ilaitia Ravuwai
Journalist | news@fijilive.com

MORE FROM FIJILIVE

Ba Rugby moves past jersey hurdle

Ba Rugby Union's secretary Gabriel Kautoga says the team is looking...

Fuli stresses focus on restarts at ...

Fijiana 7s Head Coach Saiasi Fuli says his team needs to hone in on...

Stop fooling people; Chaudhry

Mahendra Chaudhry has lashed out at the Deputy Prime Minister and M...

Cabinet endorses Hydrographic Servi...

Cabinet has endorsed a Memorandum of Understanding between the Fiji...
Fijilive Ad

trending

error: